Beef Stew with Thyme
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-888
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-887
Recipe Notes: For this beef stew I used a chuck roast, which, in my experience, is much more tender than many other cuts of stew meat. The dish is flavored with red wine, a bay leaf, fresh thyme and a little bit of ground cinnamon, which works fantastic in this mix.
Beef Stew with Thyme Recipe
(by Nicole Branan)
- vegetable oil to sear the meat
- one 1.5-pound chuck roast, cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5 cups dry red wine
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- two sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup peeled, cubed potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Thoroughly pat the meat dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a bit of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Working in batches, brown the meat in the Dutch oven on all sides. Sear the meat well but be careful not to burn it.
- Transfer the meat to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion to the Dutch oven and cook until translucent.
- Add the cinnamon to the onion and stir until fragrant.
- Add wine and chicken broth and stir to bring all the brown bits at the bottom of the Dutch oven into the liquid.
- Add bay leaf and thyme, then add the meat (and accumulated juices) back into the Dutch oven.
- Bring the mix to a boil, then turn the heat to low, put on the lid and simmer the stew for an hour and a half.
- Add carrot and potato and continue to simmer for another hour.
- Dissolve one tablespoon of cornstarch in a little bit of water and stir into the boiling liquid. If that doesn't thicken the stew enough for your taste, mix up more cornstarch and add in the same fashion.
- Add the frozen peas and heat them through for a few minutes.
Image Description and Keywords: Juicy beef stew with sprigs of thyme on a vintage, oval plater with an intricate painted blue border in a rustic setting. | meat, spoon, herb, plate, wood, sauce, salt and pepper shaker, food, brown, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography