Blueberry Ginger Swirl Cheesecake with Creme de Cassis and White Chocolate
© Nicole Branan
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-919
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-918
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-920
Recipe Notes: You can prepare this cheesecake in two ways; as a tart or as a trifle. The trifles are very handy for summer picnics because you can fill them into jars, put on the lids and then carry them in a picnic basket. The tart requires a little more work because you have to make a pie crust but you will be rewarded with the pretty look of the purple swirls.
The filling for this recipe is a no-bake mix of heavy cream, cream cheese and white chocolate, swirled with a delicious blueberry sauce made with freshly grated ginger and creme de cassis. Both the ginger and the creme de cassis intensify the flavor of the blueberries nicely and make this sauce really delicious (you can actually eat it by itself, it’s that good). Most of the alcohol gets cooked out when you make the sauce so this is not really an alcoholic dessert). I got the idea for the cream, cream cheese and white chocolate mix from Mary Berry’s chocolate swirl cheesecake recipe and it worked great here.
Blueberry Ginger Swirl Cheesecake with Creme de Cassis and White Chocolate Recipe
(by Nicole Branan)
For the crust:
- one tart crust (I recommend 177 Milk Street Kitchen's recipe, it makes the absolutely best crusts).
For the filling:
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons creme de cassis
- 7 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1.25 cups heavy cream
- 10 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- If you’re making the trifle, you’ll also need some crushed graham crackers
For the crust:
- Prepare and fully bake the crust. Let it cool completely.
For the filling:
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of cold water, set aside.
- Add blueberries, ginger, cornstarch mix and creme de cassis to a saucepan and heat on medium heat until saucy (about 2 minutes). Set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Set aside.
- Add cream, cream cheese and vanilla to another bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour in the white chocolate and beat again until smooth.
- Pour half of the cheesecake filling into the tart shell, then spoon half of the blueberry sauce in a few big blobs on top.
- Pour the remaining cheesecake filling on top and smooth out the surface with an offset spatula.
- Pour the remaining blueberry sauce on top, again in a few big blobs, then swirl it into the cheesecake with a butter knife or a chopstick. Chill until set (about 2 hours).
- If you’re making the trifle, simply layer crushed graham crackers, cheesecake mix and blueberry sauce into jars.
Image Descriptions and Keywords: A small glass jar filled with a blueberry and cheesecake trifle. | An overhead view of a blueberry swirl cheesecake tart with lilac flowers on a dark, rustic wood surface. | cake, fruit, berry, purple, round, crust, knife, food, vertical, dessert, sweet, plate, blossom, pie, cream, cream cheese, sauce, graham crackers, crumble, spoon, doily, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography