Caramelized Onion Tart with Caraway Puff Pastry and Balsamic Vinegar
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-912
Recipe Notes: I put a twist on this traditional savory tart recipe by adding caraway seeds to it. The distinct flavor of the seeds works great with all the sweet and sour flavors in the rest of the tart. I rolled the seeds into the puff pastry before topping it with the other ingredients, that way there's a little bit of caraway flavor in every other bite. You can serve this dish as an appetizer but it also works well as a side dish for a steak or any other beef.
Caramelized Onion Tart with Caraway Puff Pastry and Balsamic Vinegar Recipe
(by Nicole Branan)
serves 4 as an appetizer or a side dish
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon high-quality dark balsamic vinegar (more for drizzling before serving)
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions and saute until they turn deep brown (about 40 minutes).
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the onions and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed, then turn the heat off and season with salt to taste.
- While the onions are cooking, sprinkle the caraway seeds evenly over the puff pastry sheet. Roll the pastry with a rolling pin to press the seeds into the pastry and to get rid of the seams in the sheet.
- Cut four squares or circles out of the pastry, transfer them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge.
- Once the onions are done, transfer them onto the pastry circles, then plop the sour cream onto the tarts in little dollops and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tarts and sprinkle the thyme evenly over the tarts, then transfer them back into the oven and bake until they are golden brown (about another 10 minutes).
- Drizzle with more balsamic vinegar and serve warm.
Image Description and Keywords: A closeup view of a caramelized onion tart with melted sour cream, fresh thyme and balsamic vinegar. | vegetable, savory, puff pastry, pastry, food, rustic, wood, cooling rack, trivet, herb, cheese, burrata, cream cheese, mozzarella, knife, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography