Chai-Spiced Apple Tarte Tatin
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 22-778
Recipe Notes: I love making tarte tatin with anything – onions, tomatoes, pears, you name it, but one of my favorites is still the classic apple version. The basic recipe I used here comes from the New York Times but I added chai spices for extra fall flavor. (I made a mix of cinnamon, clove, ginger, cardamom and black pepper). Serve the tart by itself or with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Chai-Spiced Apple Tarte Tatin Recipe
(by Nicole Branan/Adapted from The New York Times)
- 6 - 8 large Granny Smith apples
- 6 tablespoons butter, very soft
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into eights. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread the butter into a 10-inch cast iron pan.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top of the butter.
- Lay the apple slices into the pan in a spiral pattern, make sure to overlap them well because they will shrink during baking.
- Mix all the spices together and sprinkle them over the apples.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out to get rid of the seams, then cut it into a circle that is slightly larger than the pan.
- Drape the pastry over the apples and, using a knife, tuck it in around the edge.
- Set the pan on the stovetop and cook the apples on medium heat until you can see that the butter and sugar have formed a bubbling caramel sauce (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the puff pastry is golden-brown, about 45 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then very carefully turn the tart out onto a large plate. (Be careful, there is a lot of very hot syrup in the pan!)
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream or by itself.
Image Description and Keywords: An overhead view of two slices of chai-spiced apple tarte tatin and a cup of freshly poured coffee in a fall setting. | fruit, tart, French, pastry, baked, plate, afternoon, fork, spoon, syrup, sauce, wood, upside down, rustic, vertical, food, dish, flaky, crumbs, glaze, autumn, pine cone, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography