Chai-Spiced Panna Cotta with Pistachios
© Nicole Branan
Image ID: 33-893
Image Description: An overhead view of three small ramekins filled with a chai-spiced panna cotta and garnished with chopped pistachio nuts and spring greenery.
Additional Keywords: wood, rustic, food, tree buds, leaves, floral, vertical, sweet, dessert, portion, mousse, pudding, copy space, green, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography
Recipe Notes: This is a simple but flavorful panna cotta that is very creamy, light and softly set. I started with black tea and infused it with cardamom, cloves, black pepper, fresh ginger and a cinnamon stick. Then I simply mixed the spiced tea with cream, a bit of sugar and gelatin and that's all the work that needs to be done here. It takes about six hours for this panna cotta to fully set though so be sure to plan for that. :)
Chai-Spiced Panna Cotta with Pistachios Recipe
(by Nicole Branan)
- 1 black tea bag
- 3 whole green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 1 half-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- chopped pistachios
- Add tea bag, cardamom pods, cloves, black pepper corns, ginger and cinnamon to a container that you can pour from, such as a liquid measuring cup.
- Pour the boiling water over the tea and the spices. Let sit.
- Remove the teabag after 3 minutes but leave the spices in the water.
- After another 20 minutes strain the tea into a saucepan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the gelatin with 1 tablespoon of cold water and set aside to bloom.
- Add the cream and the sugar to the tea/spice mix and heat to a very low simmer.
- Mix in the gelatin until dissolved.
- Distribute the mix among five 2-ounce ramekins and let cool to room temperature on the counter.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap, then chill in the fridge until completely set (about 6 hours).
- Sprinkle with pistachios before serving.