Edamame Beans Appetizer
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-885
Full Size Image Dimensions: 4016 pixels by 4525 pixels
Image Description: Steamed edamame beans with a few red pepper flakes in a small appetizer bowl on a dark, rustic farmhouse table. A pair of black chopsticks is lying next to the bowl.
Image Keywords: spicy, distressed wood surface, vegetable, appetizer, vegetarian, organic, vegan, food, Asian, shell, moody, somber, farm table, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography
Recipe Notes: Steamed edamame beans with a sprinkling of coarse salt are a solid (and quite nutritious) appetizer but what I like to do is enhance them a bit by tossing them in a mix of hot oil, crushed garlic cloves, liquid smoke, fresh ginger and sambal. It takes only an additional minute to prepare them that way and they taste incredible.
Spicy, Smoky Edamame Beans
(by Nicole Branan)
- 1 pound frozen edamame beans (with shells)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sambal
- Cook the edamame beans in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes, then drain and let dry.
- Heat the remaining ingredients in a pan on high heat until fragrant, then add the edamame beans and stir to coat.
- Eat the edamame by biting into the pods and squeezing out the beans. Discard the empty pods.