Focaccia Bread with Artichoke Hearts and Thyme
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-935
Recipe Notes: Ever since I started watching episodes of The Great British Bake Off Masterclass I’ve become a big fan of Paul Hollywood’s breads. The man is a great instructor and shares so many important tips that truly nothing can go wrong when you're making his recipes at home. This here is his focaccia; he made it with potato but I wanted something more pungent and substituted artichoke hearts.
A few things to note about this recipe:
– There are tons of olive oil in this bread which makes it quite rich so do try not to overindulge.
– As for the kneading, if you have strong arms you can do it by hand like Paul does in the video, but you really have to be buff to pull that off. I kneaded by hand for five minutes, then got tired and plopped the dough into my standing mixer and gave it another seven minutes with the dough hooks until the dough was smooth like a baby bottom.
– Paul baked the focaccia on a baking sheet but you can also cut the dough into several pieces and press and stretch them into cast iron pans, which is what I did here. Once the dough is in the pans or on the baking sheet, let it rise for 10 to 15 minutes, about as long as it takes to get the oven up to 450 degrees F.
Focaccia with Artichoke Hearts, Thyme and Lots of Olive Oil Recipe
(adapted from Paul Hollywood)
- 1 pound plus 2 ounces bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 fluid ounces cold water
- generous amounts of olive oil for kneading
- one 14-ounce can artichoke hears, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- fine sea salt (optional)
- Watch how Paul Hollywood makes this beautiful focaccia in this video and see my additional comments in the Recipe Notes above.
Image Description and Keywords: An overhead view of focaccia bread loaves with artichoke hearts and thyme on paper on a rustic, light blue wood surface. | Italian, salt, olive oil, loaf, cut, crumbs, herb, food, vertical, knife, yeast, baked, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography, vertical