Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 33-905
Recipe Notes: For this white chicken chili I adapted a concept I learned a long time ago from cooking Indian curries: instead of using chopped vegetables I created a base made of an onion puree (that is onion boiled in water and then pureed in a food processor). The advantage of this method is that it naturally creates a smooth, thick and creamy texture that needs little additional binding. It turned out to be a perfect foundation for this chili.
As far as the spiciness level is concerned, this dish is very mild and the spice comes purely from the (optional) fresh, diced jalapeno pepper that you can sprinkle on before serving.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Recipe
(by Nicole Branan)
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion
- vegetable oil
- 1 large or 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- one 7-ounce can whole, mild, fire-roasted green chilies, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 cup hominy, drained
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- lime juice
- cilantro (optional)
- finely chopped fresh jalapeno (optional)
- Peel the onion and chop into 1-inch chunks.
- Add onion to a pot with 1 cup of water and boil without a lid until only about 2 tablespoons of water remain. Let cool for a bit.
- Transfer the onion with the remaining water into a food processor and process into a fine puree. Set aside.
- Heat a little bit of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven until shimmering.
- Lightly season the chicken breast(s) with salt and ground white pepper, then sear them on both sides in the hot oil.
- Turn the heat down.
- Move the chicken over to one side of the Dutch oven and add cumin, coriander and mustard seeds to the other side. Fry the seeds for 4 - 5 minutes. (Keep a splatter screen handy in case the seeds want to jump out of the pot).
- Add the garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Add the onion puree and fry until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add chilies, chicken broth and oregano.
- Let the mix come to a boil, then transfer to a slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Open the slow cooker and add beans and hominy, then continue to cook for another 30 minutes (again on low).
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Sprinkle lime juice on the chili to taste, garnish with fresh cilantro and for a bit of spiciness and crunch, add the fresh jalapeno.
Image Description and Keywords: White chicken chili in a bowl garnished with fresh cilantro and chopped jalapeno pepper on a dark, rustic wood surface. | meat, steam, hot, coriander, hominy, beans, cannellini, cream, creamy, spoon, napkin, food, stew, soup, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography