Tofu with Soba Noodles and Vegetables
© Nicole Branan | Image ID: 11-622
Recipe Notes: I like to roll tofu cubes in flour before frying them to give them a nice and crispy shell. You can serve this dish with rice instead of soba noodles as well and really use any vegetables you like.
If you don't have some of the sauce ingredients on hand, you can make do with just soy sauce and fresh ginger. I have the recipe for this minimalistic version of the dish on my other site, The Spice Train: Ginger Glazed Bok Choy with Tofu and Noodles. The full recipe is posted below.
Tofu with Soba Noodles and Vegetables Recipe
(by Nicole Branan)
- cooked soba noodles or rice
- 1/4 cup sake
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 pound firm tofu, cut into one–inch pieces
- all-purpose flour for rolling the tofu in
- vegetable oil for frying
- vegetables of your choice (bell pepper, bok choy, cabbage, green onion, broccoli, etc.)
- Add sake, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, sesame seeds, cornstarch and red pepper flakes to a small bowl that you can easily pour out of, such as a glass liquid measuring cup.
- Whisk all ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- Roll the tofu in the flour until it's well coated on all sides. (I add the flour to a tupperware container, then add the tofu, close the container, shake it around, then dump it into a colander to get rid of the excess flour).
- Heat a little bit of vegetable oil in a pan on high heat. Add the tofu and fry until it's starting to brown on all edges, then take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Heat a little more vegetable oil in the pan and fry the vegetables in it (still on high heat).
- Add the tofu back to the pan and pour in the sauce.
- Cook on high heat until the sauce turns translucent.
- Serve with soba noodles or rice.
Image Description and Keyword: A bowl filled with fried tofu, soba noodles and wilted bok choy and red cabbage. | Asian, vegetable, vegetarian, lunch, chopsticks, shredded, sauce, soy sauce, ginger, sesame, sake, tea, flask, green onion, scallion, wood, rustic, vertical, food, dish, stock food photo, stock food image, stock photography, food photography